Since the introduction of safety switches, we have had quite a few changes in their installation.
Generally a safety switch when first introduced was installed on to the power circuits but in some cases the one unit was used to protect the entire house. This was a little problematic when lightning was around as they could trip through surges on the electricity. It was also very hard to locate what was the fault when it tripped because you had the whole house to look at.
Time went by and then they got a little cheaper so we could afford to put two units in the house and also the government had a promotion with rebates for installing a safety switch to your house. This made them more popular and more of a good idea to protect the family from electrocution. Manufacturers also rsolved the surge tripping problems.
Legislation came along and made it compulsory at the sale of a house and on all new homes. This was resisted by some as it put up the price of a new home so it was restricted to just power circuits at first. Gradually it was extended to include lighting circuits with some suggesting power circuits be on one safety switch and light circuits on another safety switch. The wiring rules stated that they should be split up with some light and power on each safety switch which again caused some trouble with isolating the fault.
This is a photo of my own switchboard which is somewhere about then, excepting that I installed five safety switches and protected all the circuits in the house except the hot water system. That is more a personal choice about the hot water system but it was testing the trend to cover all the circuits in the house. I must say that I have had very few problems with this system over the last fifteen years.
Today it would be very different with a single safety switch / circuit breaker for each circuit and I would have around eight spare spaces in the switchboard. This has the advantage of making it simpler to understand for the home owner and retro fitting the new safety switches takes up less space. In the old days we needed more space so that is easier for us all around.
The cost has also reduced to a point where it is just a smart thing to do to protect all the family members. There is a bonus here, with the importation of Geckos, They can also trip the circuit breaker and that could protect the printed circuit boards in electrical equipment. This has been the case for a home in Albany Creek recently and also at a home in Eatons Hill.
If you would like more information on the latest in safety switch protection, call Chris and Mason from Barry’s Electrical of North Brisbane on 0418739860